The longer I am on this journey, the more important I realize it is to meal prep. Meal prep is not only helpful on a weight loss journey, but also really helpful if you’re just busy. By taking some time to prepare easy to grab items, I am able to spend less time thinking about what to pack, and more time doing the things that matter.
In order to set myself up for a strong start this week (and get back my mojo), I decided to focus on preparing breakfasts for the week. I find when I do this, I have much more success than when I am left to decide, last minute, in what I like to call “grab and go” mode.
In addition to meal prep, I also always create a weekly menu from which I use to complete my weekly grocery list. Although all of these require some initial dedication, in the end, it saves me time and helps to make the mornings and evenings a bit easier.
This week, I made the following recipes: Kodiak Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins and Mini Phyllo Quiches. The muffin recipe was shared by someone in my Weight Watchers group and the quiches were inspired by a recipe I saw on another page. I plan on having one muffin and a serving of quiches for breakfast Monday-Wednesday this week. Stay tuned for Thursday-Saturday’s breakfasts.
Kodiak Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 2 cups Kodiak Buttermilk Pancake/Waffle Mix
- 15 ounce can of pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I used mini morsels)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
Mix all ingredients together. Evenly disperse among 12 cupcake liners. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.
Makes 12 muffins at 5 Smart Points each.
Mini Phyllo Quiches
- 1/3 cup liquid egg whites
- 1/3 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 small green pepper chopped
- 1 ounce of Boar’s Head Low Sodium, Low Fat American Cheese (or any cheese you like–will change points value)
- 30 mini phyllo shells (I used the Athens brand: 2 packages, 15 shells in each box)
- 3 slices of Oscar Meyer Fully Cooked Bacon, chopped into small pieces
Preheat oven to 350. Spray bottom of pan with cooking spray. Place shells on pan. Evenly fill each shell with peppers, cheese, bacon and egg mixture. Heat for 8-10 minutes or until eggs are cooked. To reheat, microwave or toast.
Makes 6 servings (5 mini quiches each) at 3 Smart Points per serving.